Saturday 25 July 2015

To Palestine, with love, Kashmir!



Dear Palestine,

Asalam o alykum!

I’d start with usual niceties and greetings asking you about your well being and health but I know better than to sound ignorant of your condition. I know how you are; bleeding and seething with resistance. I know of your wounds, of your tears and of your courage. I know how you have been occupied and oppressed in your own land by the Zionists; by those who came and never left. I can imagine your pain, of having unknown, foreign people come into your land, take over it and then treat you as outsiders.

Pardon me, I seem to have lost the etiquette of speaking; I realise I haven’t introduced myself as yet. Well then, here we go.

I am Kashmir. Have you heard of me? Oh, yes you say? Yes I did see some of your people holding a banner in support of me. But maybe all of your people don’t and anyway we are more bound together than you think; by a common bond of resistance. You will often see me portrayed by my oppressor somewhere on the head of its map (which looks like a woman draping a sari), and call me its ‘atoot ang’, the integral part. There’s nothing integral about me and them, well there is nothing familiar about a part even in this equation. You see they came, they occupied and never left. Sounds so familiar, right? They won their freedom from British and then turned their attention towards occupying me, oppressing my people (and others as well) all the while labeling them as ‘terrorists’ for wanting to be free of them.

 If you were here, I’d probably pour you a cup of ‘noon chai’ (salt tea) or ‘kehwa’ if you will. My body knows the underside of the army boots only too well, like you do.

 I have seen lakhs of them trample me in their lust for blood and in their arrogance. I am a green vale, lush with forests, but sometimes even I wonder if their green uniforms outnumber the trees in my heart!

You see that old woman smiling there? Yes, the one in the shabby room, humming a tune to herself. Her son was killed by those murderers and the other son just lost his mind with grief. He was picked up in a ‘rakshak’ (that means protector in Hindi, how funny!) vehicle, and his body found somewhere else, far from his home, torture marks telling a gruesome story. The woman there, you see, she was raped by the forces of the occupier, not only her, but two villages; women from two villages raped in a single night. That man there with no feet and stumps for hands, he was tortured, forced to eat his own flesh for ‘sympathising’ with those fighting for freedom. Those children playing in the ground, they are orphans, their fathers taken by the dark shadows of occupiers to never return. Their mothers are called ‘half widows’; because they don’t know if they are yet widowed or not. They live somewhere in between waiting for some news, of death mostly. And you see vast mounds there, with number plates on them? These are people who never returned, only their dead bodies did, buried by some unknown grave digger, waiting to be claimed and given a name.

You see, I know your pain of being occupied and oppressed. I have wept for you as Israel bombed Gaza. I have stood up for you as they perpetrated crimes of unimaginable magnitude against you. My heart has bled along with those innocent children they killed for fun, the ones playing on the beach. My soul was left bruised as I saw images of children in pieces, under rubble, in arms of their loved ones. I have bled with you as one after other the bombs rained from the night sky. I have clutched my heart in grief as mothers wailed over the dead body of their sons. I know only too well the loss of young ones. I have been flooded many times with the warm blood of teenagers and even children. No, there are no bombs falling from the sky here (ironically, that is the only difference between you and me) but there are bullets, free, anytime, anywhere. Indiscriminate. They tell their people that they aim for the legs to ‘control the crowd’ but in reality they aim at hearts and heads of young children, who look like flowers in fresh bloom. They are afraid of stones you see, so afraid of stones that they defend themselves with bullets. I have seen so many small coffins, too many fathers shouldering the coffins of their sons, yet I have never given up, quite like you. The mothers smile, sisters singing ‘wanwun’ traditional marriage songs over martyrs, the fathers proudly kiss the dead, still, face goodbye, and I shed silent tears of pride and grief.

As I said we are bound by resistance; resistance to oppression and occupation. I might bleed and cradle young souls in my bosom but I never forget you. You are there in the sermons of Friday prayers, in the prayers of laylat ul qadr and in every protest; you never leave us. My people, they learn about Palestine almost as soon as they learn about Kashmir. There they try to obliterate your existence; here they try to occupy our history. Occupiers are all the same but little do they know so are we. Our hearts beat to be free, to live free of occupation and oppression, to see ‘us’ prevail. One day I know we will both be free; you will no longer grow flowers in tear gas canisters and I will no longer bury my young. Till that day, when the song of freedom is carried from Palestine to Kashmir, till that day, and beyond, let this bond never break. Khodayas hawale. 

With love,

Yours in grief and happiness


Indian occupied Kashmir 

IranHub © 2014. All Rights Reserved | Powered by-Blogger | Designed by-Dapinder